Monday, October 30, 2017

Clearance and Coming Days

This week marks six weeks since surgery.  Each day brings more healing.  Each day moves us closer to a new reality.  Not sure yet what to expect that reality to be.  Not sure when to expect that reality to plateau.  As of now I am still on the uphill climb toward complete healing.
Last week I met with my oncologist who discussed with me how we are going to approach these next five years.  Yes, five years.  Triple negative breast cancer (TNBC) means that after chemo and surgery there is nothing more to do.  Praise the Lord, there is no further evidence of cancer in my body.  Many of you have shared how you have prayed for just that.  Thank you so much for your faithful prayers.  God has chosen to answer very graciously.  That said, there is also no other preventative treatment either.  I will not be taking any other meds.  There are some benefits such as I will not have to deal with any side effects of harsh meds.   I have no residual cancer, and therefore, I do not qualify for any clinical trial.   I will be meeting with my oncologist regularly and will be having blood work to monitor liver and bone function.  At this point I will not be scanned regularly.  As I am the one most aware of  my body, I will need to be cautious of any crazy changes:  bone pain, difficulty breathing, severe headaches, and significant weight loss.  TNBC has a greater reoccurrence than other breast cancers before the five year anniversary.  After that milestone, the rate of reoccurrence drastically drops.  Can I say again how thankful I am that God is in control of all of this.  My tomorrows are known by him.  He has laid out my days before even one of them came to be.  Oh my, how much I need to hold on to this!
Today I met with the micro surgeon who did my reconstruction.  He is so kind, for which I am thankful.  In addition to kindness, he is really good at what he does.  If I simply looked at the medical aspect of breast cancer surgery, I would be over the moon excited about my situation. It is amazing what the docs can do.  Still, in December, I will need to have outpatient surgery to revise a few things.  When you look at me, you would never know.  Trust me when I say that things are not quite right yet.  I have decisions to make which I never thought I would have to consider.  They are not major life decisions.  Still, as a woman, considering the way my body will look is difficult.  Today was an emotional day.  Just saying.
I am cleared to do what I am comfortable doing.  So,  I guess that means I need to assume my chauffeur job again.  This mom of many cannot say thank you strongly enough to my parents and friends who have filled the gap when my kids needed rides all over creation.  We have been loved so practically.  My kids are watching and have been the beneficiaries of lots of love.
I really hate cancer.  I have friends who are fighting this terrible disease as I write this.  Cancer robs so much. Yet, God gives.  He gives grace, help, and peace.  He give love when I feel unlovely. Bryan and I still have much to work through, but we know God is in it.  Day by day.

No comments: