Monday, February 23, 2015

Anger is Ugly

How much of my idealized success and satisfaction in parenting comes from getting my own way?  If today was the measure, I would have fallen short of holiness, and my ego would have loomed large.  
By  7:30am four kids had outwardly defied my instructions.  We are talking flat out NO. Mind you, I was asking a child to change a sweatshirt covered in egg.  Eating breakfast is important to be healthy, but for one of my children that concept eludes her.  Every child needs a pair of shoes on before he can go to school, but shoes never seem to be where they are supposed to be.  Coats are necessary in sub-freezing weather despite what a preteen thinks.  Practically, everyone needs to be in the bus, in their own seat with a seatbelt on before we can go.  Somehow, my children did not think they needed to listen today.  
So maybe my ideals are not a fantasy.  
However, defeat creeps into my heart.  Anger bubbles and then erupts.  I don't want to be angry.  It looks ugly on me.  It is a lousy way to start a day, a new week.
I think God and I need to have a little chat.  
Please help me, Lord, to see my mom role as a gift from you.  Help me to ask for your help when sin raises its ugly head to strike.  Thank you that you have redeemed me.  Help me to love my kids unconditionally today and breath deeply when they choose their own way.  


 

No comments: