Monday, January 19, 2015

Martin Luther King Jr.



Today our country celebrates a man who chose to make a difference in his world, Martin Luther King Jr. He took a risk, a bold stand, an opportunity to use his God-given ability of eloquence to move others to make a change. 
We are schooling still today at home, but I took the time to sit with Maddie and my other fifth grader, who does not have school today, and enjoyed a Brain Pop movie online about this man.  As I sat between two beautiful children, one white and one black, I was reminded how truly blessed we are.  The conversation that followed was not always easy or comfortable but necessary.  We learned a bit about history, but more about people, about values, about change, about our family.
As we have two children in our home who are biracial, I anticipate many more conversations as these.  For today, I am thankful to have had the time to sit and talk, opening up more windows into my son’s life, and creating a pathway for more conversation.

No comments: