Tuesday, February 25, 2014

I am a Grammar Geek

The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures.
He leads me beside still waters.
He restores my soul.
He leads me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil, for you are with me;
Your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;
You anoint my head with oil;
My cup overflows.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of the LORD forever.

I find these verbs in God's Word not only immensely relevant, but also breathtakingly beautiful. Psalm 23 finds its way into many hearts torn by loss and pain.  The powerful words also soothe this life worn mom who is looking for green pastures and quiet streams but sometimes finds dark valleys and persistent enemies.   Sitting, waiting, reading, I felt these words pour some refreshment into my tired heart.  These verbs reminded me that God is, and he is active in my life.  He shows himself today as well as yesterday to prepare me for a perfect tomorrow.  He makes, leads, restores, comforts, prepares, and anoints.  My role:  don't want, don't fear,  and dwell with God forever.  He even chooses to add an emphatic word, shall.  There leaves no room for if.  The end does not depend on me. These strong verbs reflect my strong God.  

No comments: