Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Curiosity Journal

I seem to have gotten out of the habit of writing. My princess on the other hand can do nothing but. Check out what she is writing now. She makes me smile. I enjoy the thought process, the cathartic moments of transferring winding thoughts to written words, and the running log of my life. This post, although seemingly not continued by the original author, makes me think. Do my moments matter? Is my time well spent? Am I making a difference? So, on that note . . .

I am reading:

My sweetie handed me a book to browse at the bookstore – an autobiography of Dick VanDyke. He makes me laugh, VanDyke that is. Well, my sweetie does too, but you know what I mean. Dick VanDyke's writing is as if he was sitting in the room reading his work. His beginnings were rough. He married his sweetheart and stayed married for 35 years until his wife died. You don't see that too often in the media. I didn't finish the book, but I enjoyed the first five chapters.

The American Girl book series ties history to literature so well. My little one is going to a book club this week after reading Kit Learns a Lesson. I enjoyed the privilege of cuddling next to her and reading a few chapters aloud. The story takes place during the Great Depression. That is a difficult concept for a first grader to grasp. She said it well when she decided to use a sad face to help her remember. It was a sad time in history.

My e-reader still is bookmarked for Uncle Tom's Cabin. I am about half way through and am enjoying it.

I am playing:

Chauffeur mainly. Seems like everyone else is playing. I do play a lot of tickle with the babies. I watch many of my kids' softball and baseball games. Does phone tag count as playing?

I am learning:

My sweetie just showed me another shortcut on Word that will help with my blog posts. Yeah for shortcuts!

I learned that I don't make a very good frappe at home. It is so much better when someone else makes it. I know they cost ten times the amount, but you know, sometimes it is just worth it.

Recently I learned the name of another barista at Barnes and Noble. Her name is Lis. My sweetie was able to talk with her specifically about how the science and the Bible go together. The conversation started with her questions regarding a book that he was looking at. Why does it continue to amaze me how God just drops opportunities in our laps to speak truth and lift Him up?

I learned more today about a young girl and her mother who visit family services weekly. Friends, there are a lot of hurting people all around us. I am thankful that I am there every week: I am learning to share an encouraging smile and to talk with others in the waiting room. This mom today needed someone to hold her up as a mom. I hope I remember to pray for this family.

I am reacting:

How did I become the mom of a seventeen year old? If you read my previous post, you will know that my angel went to the Jr./Sr. Banquet for the high school where she attends part-time. That in itself was a big deal. We have been working on her for months to be willing to go. Then she goes, wears a beautiful dress, allows someone to do her hair, and even carries a pocket book. Will wonders never cease?

Maybe I was just a sappy mom who was reminiscent of the past both hers and mine. My reaction: you are beautiful Angel, inside and out.

No comments: