Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Self - Control

You can hear this buzzword often in our home. "Use self-control!" From the youngest to the oldest, self-control is necessary. While waiting for my big girls finish their evening at youth group, my little ones and I sit in the van and wait . . . for 45 minutes . . . weekly. That in itself requires self-control. This past week we studied some of the why behind this challenging character trait. Simply put, God gives each believer the Holy Spirit to live inside of them. The obvious fruit of that blessing evidences itself in love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, gentleness, goodness, faithfulness, and SELF-CONTROL. Funny that God chose to put that last in the list. Maybe it is to catch my attention. In any case, self-control is not an option, but an evidence of a changed life.

It is easy to point to the lack of self-control in others: a screaming toddler, a pre-teen who slams the door, a child who spends an inordinate amount of time on the computer, a baby who throws her food when she is done, and the list could go on. If I were honest, though, my lack of self-control is glaring.

How much time do I waste on the computer? Is my first answer to my children one that reacts to an inconvenience rather than respond with a godly solution? Am I quick to turn the TV off (or leave it off for that matter) when questionable material presents itself? Why are M&M's my choice of snack when my children are encouraged with fruits and vegetables? How often do I buy without thinking of the cost in both the short term and the long term?

Self-control means having self under control. Why is that so hard when we have the help of the Holy Spirit? It really should not be hard. When self is under control, life is much more enjoyable. When my toddler is yelling because life at the moment is not going as he would wish, he is disciplined because he is out of control. When he uses words and speaks quietly, things are resolved much more quickly. When I use self-control and limit my time on the computer, I have greater conversations with my kids, I can connect with my sweetie, and my time is better spent.

I am not good at this. I need God's help tremendously to keep self under control.

1 comment:

Tammie said...

*ouch* but thanks for the reminder.