Friday, October 8, 2010

Reality Check

She walked into the waiting room lugging the infant car seat with her little one snuggled safely inside. The pleasant receptionist welcomed them by name. It quickly became obvious to me this little family had made frequent visits. I had settled in with my baby on one side of the room waiting for our name to be called for a simple blood test. The young mom settled in with her little one on the opposite side. Our girls appeared to be close in age. I asked. They were. One simple question opened up a conversation between moms. This sweet little baby had been diagnosed at four months with a tumor behind her right eye. At such a young age, she had to deal with chemotherapy and weekly doctor visits with lab work. This precious mom spoke frankly about her precious daughter, but if you looked close enough you could see fear and concern. Rachel, her daughter, was her first baby. What would tomorrow bring? They were still unsure if her eye could be saved. Would the cancer spread? Her tumor had shrunk one-third its original size after treatment. Would it truly be eradicated? I wanted to hug that precious mom. All I could do was ask if I could pray for her and her daughter. Her eyes lit up knowing that prayer would be critical in her daughter's survival. Surveying the rest of the waiting area there were other young children dealing with serious pain and illness. Cancer had invaded the lives of families in that room. My heart hurt, and my eyes burned as I was reminded of grace and the gift of healthy children in my family. There are six children in my home, none of whom are dealing with much more than developmental delays and asthma. My life intersected with a mom whose only daughter's life lay uncertain. My visit to the CHOP lab pricked my heart for the rest of the day. I will remember Rachel and her family. Her mom will not see this. I don't even know the mom's name. However, if you feel so led to remember this precious family in prayer would you post a comment? Today was another reminder that my life is not my own. God's grace and mercy are new every morning.

2 comments:

Mrs. Susan Bowman said...

Thank you for the simple reminder; As I praise God for how blessed I am, I will certainly pray for this young mom, her dear one, and so many others who are hurting.

Jodi said...

Praying for this mom and her little one..