Sunday, May 29, 2016

Gratitude From Colossians

A cushioned chair sits in the corner of my church’s lobby outside of the 4-5 class.  That's where I worshipped today.  After dealing with a very disagreeable four-year-old, my heart needed to be recalibrated.  I settled with the book of Colossians, simply because that is where my last sermon notes were.  No other reason.  I was grumpy, and I knew it.  A sweet friend who knew the events of the morning took the time to pray with me, which continued to turn my heart the right direction.

“ May you be strengthened with all power, according to his glorious might, for all endurance and patience with joy.”
“Therefore, as you received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in him, rooted and built up in him and established in the faith, just as you were taught, abounding in thanksgiving.”
“Him we proclaim, warning everyone and teaching everyone with all wisdom, that we may present everyone mature in Christ.  For this I toil, struggling with all his energy that he powerfully works within me.”

As I read these verses, my face softened, my heart calmed, and the throbbing in my head subsided.  Yes, recalibration was working, and now I could focus on a few things that God has blessed me with today in the middle of the yuck.

What are you thankful for today?

Blue skies with promises of sunshine
Air conditioning
Faithful Sunday School workers
Bryan’s attitude and practice of teamwork in parenting
Friends who pray for me
Children who work hard
Children who are faithful in service
Freedom
My God who energizes when I am spent
A backyard – especially when it is cleaned up
First picnic of the year on the patio
Friends for my kids
My bike
A healthy family
A healing Savior


No comments: