Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Endurance

I trudge through the last mile of a 5K morphing into the Little Engine Who Could.  "I think I can.  I think I can.  I think I can."  Just make it across the finish line and then I can collapse.  Endurance.
Dealing with the daily struggles connected with a marred state social system means choosing each day to serve, to change, to endure.
World Lit is on the agenda for my son's freshman year.  Homer's Iliad and Hugo's Hunchback of Notre Dame intimidate the strongest of readers which my son is not.  Endurance will be the name of this game as well.
Psalm 117:2 throws this whole endurance quest into a tailspin.  "For great is his steadfast love toward us, and the faithfulness of the LORD endures forever."
Endurance implies permanence, staying for the duration.  Webster deepens the definition by adding the ability to withstand hardship or adversity and prolonged stress.  
So, God is not stressed out.  There is nothing too hard for him.  Yet, woven through His own words is the truth of his endurance.  There is something very permanent about God.  He is with us through the duration.  
His enduring faithfulness means that when hardship, stress, and adversity smear their dirty fingerprints on my day, God is faithful and loving right there in it with me.  
I will become stressed out.  Sadly.  Maybe I should change my mantra:  I know He's there.  I know He's there.  I know He's there.  
Thank you, Lord for your enduring love and faithfulness.

No comments: