Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Learning How to Cast Your Line Can be Difficult

I Peter 5:7 became real yesterday.  
My foster children carry burdens and worries that most children do not feel or comprehend.  These emotions often present in difficult behavior.  Yesterday morning followed suit with arguments, anger, and defiance.  God had pressed on my heart again the importance of his life changing Word.  
We brought out paper and pen, sat at the kitchen table, and learned what we can do with those feelings.
God's Word tells us that we can cast all our worries, concerns, fears, and cares on Him.  Why?  Because He cares for us.  Simple, right?  
I had the kids pretend they were fishing, setting their arms so they could cast their line far into the water where they could not reach.
Next, I had them write down all the things that concerned them.  What made them nervous?  What made them afraid?  Each made a list as unique as they were.  It broke my heart to see what presented on the white paper.  I was able to catch a glimpse into what they were thinking.
After that, I had them crumple up that paper, which they thought was fun.  I saw smiles which got even bigger when I told them now to cast them as far as they could into the hallway.  As they are not to throw anything in the house, they thought this was pretty cool.
God's Word is real for all of us.  It hits us where we are and pours truth and grace for each day.
I needed that reminder yesterday morning as my own heart would feel fear and worry.
Laura has had a severe, dibilitating headache and suspicious rashes for the last week.  She was not herself by any means, and I was concerned.  After a third trip to the doc, we were sent right over to the ER.  An EKG, CT, and spinal tap followed.  Some answers, more questions.  The decision was to admit her for observation while we waited for blood work to come back.  Any parent would agree that having a sick, hurting child hurts your own heart.  It can be difficult to capture and manage the wild scenarios that perform on your mind's stage.  Though we are still waiting for definitive answers, there appears to be no imminent threat to her.  I truly hate ambiguity.  I do not like waiting.  However, that is what I need to do.  
I Peter 5:7 became real for me.  I found myself casting fears of  brain injuries, bacterial meningitis, and suspicious rashes back into God's care.  I did not have to worry about how all this was going to be paid for.  I had to choose to allow my mom and Bryan take care of my other kids at home.  I needed not to allow fears consume my heart but rather let God take care of them.  Why?  Because he cares for me.  He cares for my daughter.  
I had not planned to spend at least two days and nights in the hospital, but that is what God knew all along.  He asks that I cast all those worries that I try to own on to his all powerful, sustaining arms.  Now if only I could keep from reeling them back in.  

No comments: