Thursday, July 24, 2014

A Duet at Aldi's

I visit Aldi's weekly.  Today we had reached the bottom of the gallon of milk, exhausted the fruit, and finished off the lunch meat.  Besides, I did not want to cook, so it was pizza on the menu for tonight.  
I ventured solo to the store, grabbed my quarter, and headed to the carts.  I noticed an elderly gentleman slowly walking his cart back to regain his quarter.  His cane supported his fragile body.  I saw his wrinkled face smile.  He was humming.  I leaned in to hear better.  Then I smiled and started singing along.
"Because He lives, I can face tomorrow.  Because He lives, all fear is gone.  Because I know who holds the future, my life is worth the living just because He lives."
We had never met.  We sang together right next to the carts.  He walked away gingerly but not before he smiled bigger and gave a hearty Amen.
The tune stayed swimming in my mind as I walked the few aisles of the store loading my cart with "esentials".  
How cool is that to sing truth with a stranger.  I know nothing about that man's life, what challenges he had faced, or how many days he had left.  The only thing that I know similar between us it our faith in Christ who hold each of our futures.  

No comments: