Friday, January 20, 2012

More Thoughts From Mark

Do you ever wonder who Christ sent in to Jerusalem to secure the donkey he would ride triumphantly later that week? Christ chose only two of his disciples. There were many. Were the ones chosen the most agreeable? Was he confident that they wouldn’t argue at such an unusual request? Were they simply available?

Did you ever wonder why later that week Christ cursed a tree just because it did not have any fruit? Wasn’t it normal for a fruit to be barren out of season?

Did you ever picture the scenes one by one of Christ’s entry into the temple, his arms wiping the tables clear, his voice bellowing the warning, his righteous anger pouring onto the religious sinners?

I just love the following verse in Mark, the passages where the above questions originated: “Teacher, we know that you are true and do not care about anyone’s opinion. For you are not swayed by appearances, but truly teach the way of God.”

I wonder how different my life would be in light of Christ’s example of decisions in real life, discernment of good and bad, and disgust of sin. My life would exude truth more obviously if I did not care about what others thought.

Mark’s gospel continues to prick my heart where I am.

No comments: