Sunday, February 27, 2011

Profound Words Not Easily Practiced

"Outdo one another in showing honor." Romans 12:10

My little one's tummy acted up Saturday, again. That meant another Sunday home, but that is another story. In between taking care of her and the baby, I was able to read some of Romans, the book that I have been reading chapter by chapter. Chapter 12 hit me profoundly. So many of the verses challenge the believer to live differently than the world. Not conforming to a culture insistent on pushing you into its mold is hard and requires a transformed heart and mind. Verse ten of this chapter was one of those Scriptural imperatives that should transform us.

"Outdo one another in showing honor."

Showing honor means lowering myself and lifting another up. Honor means to give someone else credit, respect, and admiration. How quickly I can criticize and tear down with my words. Yet, I am to work as diligently to honor others, so much so that It is obvious and almost to the point of excessive, if that is possible. Today, it is easy to honor someone who is popular, won awards, is beautiful, or has done something for us. Amazingly God does not specify who was are to honor. To me, that indicates that no one is excluded of honor.

"Outdo one another in showing honor."

I shared this with my kids at the dinner table today. I don't know how it will play out this week. I hope that it is not just a passing "ah ha" moment, but one that truly transforms my thinking and actions. As a mom, I have a job to teach my children to honor others. Others to them would include the sibling that is driving them nuts, the parent that they disagree with, and the player on their team that doesn't include them in the play. I have my work cut out for me. I want to be a transformer.

No comments: