Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Another Reason

I think that my kids are pretty awesome.

For some reason, I have had on and off bouts of dizziness. I don't know why, but it happens. Today was one of those days. I found myself listing and getting dizzy when I would change position. My mom gets on my case and so she should. After an extreme case that found me in the ER a few months ago, I now carry a prescription to help. I decided that today was a good day to take advantage of some help. One of the side effects is drowsiness. By 11:00 am, I couldn't keep my eyes open. Skipping lunch, I headed straight to bed leaving instructions for the kids as they finished their work. Three and a half hours later, I emerged from my room less dizzy but for some reason still tired.

As I walked down the stairs, I heard a flurry of activity from the family room. After the kids finished school, they had worked together to prepare something special just for me. My little man started some great praise music. My little one sat at my feet and proceeded to give me the best foot rub (with cream). Her little five-year old hands worked their magic. Speaking of magic, my little man had pulled out his new magic set, studied the book, and had practiced his sleight of hand to wow me with his magic show. My princess set out to make me the most incredible cup of hot chocolate. I mean this was so rich, loaded with whipped cream, drizzled with caramel and chocolate, and sprinkled with chocolate chips. Simply, deliciously divine. All this for the price of three hugs. Quite the deal if you ask me. Which, of course, you did.

Sometimes, it is hard to sit and enjoy the life that God has given me. I don't know why. I came downstairs this afternoon with a list in my head of things that had to be done in the next two hours. My kids helped me realize that those things were not necessary at that moment. What was necessary was that I sit with them and enjoy what they had to offer – their love for mom shown in their own special way. God help me to not miss these moments.

2 comments:

Brooke said...

What a great few moments! Gives me hope for the future. :) Been a tough few days on the homeschooling front. I think it is hardest for Ryan because he is the only one who HAS to do school now. Wishing I could help an almost 6 year old understand that the younger ones' turn will come. Have a great rest of the week!

Jodi said...

I love the new layout! Beautiful, and the only way I'm gonna see Spring anytime soon! I hope the dizziness gets better. I ended up in the ER too a few yrs ago for severe vertigo, also have a Rx. It is not a fun experience, that's for sure. Enjoy those moments with your kids. Hope to get together soon!