Thursday, October 9, 2008

Why Not, Mom?

This is not the first time I heard this question nor will it be the last.

This time it is about Halloween. Tis the season, I guess.

Fall colors beautify the landscape and the weather teases us with cool breezes before the bitter winters. Fall even smells delicious.

Why does a holiday celebrating death, darkness, and evil have to be a part of it?

We choose as a family to avoid celebrating Halloween. God's Word keeps silent on this day specifically so we are careful not to make it a Biblical mandate for others to follow. However, we do set the rules for our kids and this has become one of them. Honestly, they don't seem to mind. They do enjoy handing out candy to the neighbors (that way we don't look like the ogres). However, my little one needed more explanation. It is a shame that princesses and "happy" things cannot be central for this day. She loves to dress up. It is a major part of her life. Why, she wonders, can't she dress up for Halloween? I am not sure I explained it to her satisfaction. I grew up with a simple, safe Halloween. Mom made our outfits (some are too embarrassing to mention). Maybe I am old, but life seemed simpler then.

Why do I feel that I need to protect my kids even more as the days go on?

Am I paranoid? Maybe . . . maybe not.

I am sure that more questions will follow – some crazy, some serious.

I hope that I have some answers.

No comments: