Friday, January 5, 2018

Do you have a resolution or a new word for the year?

I welcome 2018.  Goodbye 2017.
I can count on one hand the times I have made resolutions for the new year.  Maybe that means I am wimpy,  or maybe I am just a realist.  However, God has put a word on my heart that echoes loudly, almost annoyingly.  NEW.  That is it.  NEW.
I sat bundled up in the warm van while my crazy kids skated on the frozen lake in frigid temperatures and I went back to my Bible and took a look where God himself used the word.
In the ESV, the word is translated 143 times in 128 verses.  There is a new king, a new moon, new grain, new gods, a new house, new ropes, a new cart, a new garment, a new sword, a new song, new friends, new things, new life, new heavens, new earth, new covenant, new mercies, new spirit, new heart,  a new tomb, new teaching, new tongues, as new commandment, new creation, new self, new way, new name, new Jerusalem, and all things new.
2017 brought me new things:  a new diagnosis, new schedule of treatment, a new body, a new normal.  I have a hard time accepting the new to be honest.  New things are usually welcomed.  I mean who does not like a new pair of shoes, or a cute new dress.  Maybe the new kitchen gadget or the new app on your phone is practical or super fun to use.  I also like new to me stuff.  Garage sales make me smile.  I never truly thought of new stuff as an unwelcome change.
I think God is trying to show me new things about new things.
God makes things new that he wants to make more like Him.  He uses new things to bring worship to Himself.  He is right now creating new things that no one can even fathom.  He is making me new.
Every morning I am reminded that my body has new scars.  Yes, they will fade.  Eventually.  Yet,  they remind me that both that the new tumor was removed and that my new body is on the way to healing.
2018 will bring a new son-in-law, a new high school graduate, and I’m sure many other new things completely out of my control.  I will daily fight the fear of a new diagnosis.  I will push my way through a new fitness regime.
God is all about new things.  This year, He is whispering daily that His new is good.
I am resolved to listen to His truth.

No comments: