Wednesday, March 9, 2016

A Full-Time Job

Homeschooling means working full-time even though you do not get a paycheck.  Okay, I have known that for,  what, over twelve years? Yet, there is a little part of me that envies other moms who schedule lunch dates, keep a clean house, and get to Bible studies regularly.  By no means do I regret my life.  I truly love to teach, and there is a sick side of me that enjoys writing lesson plans.  Some days, however, the piles of ungraded papers stare me down.  Other days, dinner plans go flying straight out the window,  and we drive to Chick-fi-la.  Every day, I am just tired.
I know.  I know.  Life as a mom in any other home has struggles too.  Shuttling kids back and forth to school, assisting in homework, keeping school schedules on top of keeping a home  makes any mom weary.
I sat on the couch today grading some papers and enjoyed listening to kids play outside.  Can I say a hearty Amen for sunshine today?  Mind you, the littles tried over and over to come in, but I stood my ground.  Sunshine, dirt, and big muscle play was needed to be sure.
Life never stopped today.  All kids were engaged all day, whether in school or play.  The washer, drier, and dishwasher ran too.  That is a given.
I really don’t want a job out of the house.  I am blessed to be able to teach and disciple my kids at home.  I would encourage any mom to consider it.  Yet, some days, it would be nice to call in a personal day, even a professional day.  Don’t even talk about sick days.  Oy.  Then again, I see what my kids are learning, how they are growing spiritually, how they are learning albeit slowly to love each other, and I have to think that it is worth it.
Yes, I have kids who bomb a test, and  I have children who refuse to do their work.  I have had to call the “principal” in to assist with discipline.  I have a full-time job.
At the end of the day, I am thankful for my teaching degree.  I am blessed to use my gifts at home with the kids whom I love.  My job my not give me a check at the end of the week, but the benefits reach much farther.

No comments: