Sunday, March 16, 2014

A Brief Coffee Shop Encounter

He shuffled into the coffee shop, familiar with the location, confident of his selection.  "Coffee, please."  His rumpled coat lay loosely covering layers making it easier to transport his limited wardrobe.  He shared a friendly disposition, though his words were sometimes lost in the expanse of missing teeth.  He smiled.  I wished him a nice day.  He shuffled out with his coffee and continued his simple walk down the quiet street.  
His life reflected the antithesis of mine.  I sat there with my drink, settled in for a few hours before the meter ran out.  My laptop lay open as did my iPad.  My iPhone sat within reach in case my kids needed to talk.  My world did not even collide with his - except for a corner coffee shop.  

No comments: