Sunday, June 9, 2013

A Collision of Reality and Perspective



That moment when his hands cup your face lined with age and pull you closer,  and his raspy voice whispers into your ear with words newly learned  “I love you” places perspective and reality into balance at least for that second in time. 
Perspective is a balancing act only for the strong at heart.  I am not strong.  I lose perspective daily.  My sweetie and I fight for balance with every ounce of our being.  Yesterday, today, and tomorrow weigh heavily.  Yet God was in yesterday, lives in my today, and fights for my tomorrow.  That is perspective. 
It has been a rough week and a rougher weekend.  Next week does not look any smoother.  But, I take a step back.  If I squint through the tears, I can see a bit, a glimmer of how today fits into tomorrow.  Perspective. 
Sunshine squeezed itself between the downpours of yesterday and tomorrow.  Swing sets, sandboxes, scooters, and volleyball serves all kept little feet and hands busy outside for hours this afternoon.  Grilled burgers served on paper plates - outside - made dinner clean up quick.  Perspective.
Screaming, hitting, kicking, lying children make me want to quit.  Give up.  Walk away.  Those same children live for our hugs and kisses.  Their smiles emerge from hidden recess within their bruised hearts.  They hold on tightly.  How can I let go?  Perspective.
Why is this perspective so difficult to attain let alone maintain?  I am tired of the balancing act.  I am weary of looking at things two ways.  I cannot live in the ‘what if’ and ‘what might be’.  There lies the perspective.  I do not need to understand today or know tomorrow.  God does.  Perspective.

No comments: