Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Thanksgiving Thoughts

Thanksgiving came quickly. Didn’t we just start the school year, or was that soccer? No, we just finished soccer. I am so confused. I was told that the older you get, the faster time flies. I do not know how that works, but it does.

I f you spent even a fraction of time in the store or watched any form of media, you would think that tomorrow is Christmas. Every year, it seems that celebrating Thanksgiving is an afterthought. I spend a great deal of time on my own blog writing things I am thankful for. Why is the holiday skipped by so many? Of course, the turkey and fixings are never left out. Nor are the endless hours of football. Gluttony and laziness. That’s it. That is what it is all about. I digress.

How should I approach this special time in our country’s history to remember specifically how God has blessed, protected, guided, and comforted over the past year? I want to keep it exciting because it is. I want to keep it holy because it is. I want to keep it real because it is.

I take my role as mom very seriously, though I fail daily, often. Much of what I do now is a result of trial and error. Many errors. Yet, still I see that taking the time to be grateful makes a difference in my children. Learning how to say thank you at an early age instills a pattern that is lifelong. I choose to look for ways to thank my kids for doing not only the extra but also the routine.

When we enter Thanksgiving week, we try, despite our crazy schedules and the wide age span of our kids, to sit and recall specifically what God has done in the last year. A younger child’s list may reflect their simple faith. As the children grow, so does their faith and understanding of God’s work in their life. How exciting is that?

This year, our home will entertain 18 for dinner. Some of them are little people, but people none the less. I found a fun way for all of us to share our hearts and decorate the centerpieces at the same time. Princess and my Little Man set out this afternoon in search of three perfect branches that will be our Thanksgiving trees. Later they will “plant” them in clay pots which will be placed on our tables. By each centerpiece will be brightly colored leaves, a marker, and string. As we move throughout Thanksgiving Day, each family member will be able to share what they are thankful for by writing it on a leaf and placing it on the trees. I hope my vision of the end product becomes reality. I don’t think we should have any problem.

What are some ways that you have approached Thanksgiving with a thankful heart? I would enjoy hearing about your creativity. How have your children taken part with you?

God bless as you enter this special season of gratefulness.

No comments: