Friday, August 21, 2009

Late Summer Fun


We ventured to the "wild outdoors" last weekend. I say that tongue in cheek as my in-laws lent us their RV for the weekend. Air conditioning, running water, and a bathroom are blessed things for a pregnant mom.

My brother and his family joined us at French Creek State Park in Pa. The result: a little craziness, a lot of food, sweet fellowship, giggles, and precious family time.

We didn't fill our schedule with much – unusual for us. I was pleasantly amazed at the simple play of my kids. For instance, they learned how to whittle. With their new boats in hand, we hiked to the creek where they sat in the clear water and raced their boats for close to 45 minutes. Simple play, conversation, healthy competition, time in the sun – what a sweet time.

We attempted to make ice cream. Not sure what happened – maybe it was dealing with little people (my brother's sons are 5, 4, and 3) whose attention spans are limited, maybe it was not checking in on the kids when they were putting the recipe together. In any case, our milkshakes tasted good.

I am really not a camping girl. I go because I like to spend time with my family. We will be venturing out again for Labor Day Weekend. This time we get the tent. Not a problem as long as I have my mattress and space heater.

My kids love to camp. Many memories are being made. We pull away from the routine and challenges of every day. Camping brings its own challenges, but they are worth it in the end. Ask me this again next year when another little one joins the crowd.

No comments: