Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Ripples . . .

My oldest commented again this afternoon that it has been too long since I posted a blog. Tis true. However, as many of you moms out there know the end of the year/beginning of the summer craziness can be a tad overwhelming at times. Sitting down to write often becomes a luxury not easily found.

A few thoughts have rolled in my mind lately. One in particular originates from a walk to the pond. I had set aside household projects and went with my kids to the pond to fish watch them fish. Nothing was biting, so it was rather slow. As I was entertaining my little one, we walked to the end of the pond sheltered by overhung trees that shaded a small dam and pathway. For something to do, my little one picked up a stick and threw it into the water. What amazed her was the resulting ripples that continued to the water's edge. Her little hands held her stockpile of projectiles that would keep her busy for the time being.

I couldn't help but see the significance to life. One little stone, stick, leaf, or piece of bark became the impetus for changes that continued and affected everything around it. How often one little word, action, smile, or note of gratefulness can change things far greater than we could ever imagine. On the flip side it is startling to think of the rippling affects of a demeaning word, negative attitude, or harsh action.

I fail so many times as a mom, wife, sister, daughter, and friend. What I say and do has long lasting affects whether I like them or not. I was challenged that afternoon to choose carefully what I throw into this pond called life. I want my life to change others in a positive way and have God move through me to reach far greater than I ever thought possible.

2 comments:

He & Me + 3 said...

Awesome thoughts...thanks for sharing. I completely agree.

Jodi said...

Awesome post! And, you are absolutely right. I love reading your thoughts, they're always so inspiring:)