Saturday, April 4, 2009

Playing Catch-up

My mind has been in a serious fog for the last week. I have wanted to write, but nothing of worth has crossed the mass in my head called a brain. Honestly, I look back on this week and wonder what on earth I accomplished, and then I have to sit and trust that God is going to work in and through me despite my obvious weaknesses.

We did get away as a family last weekend. The best part – I got to be just a mom for a few days. One of the boundaries that seems to get muddled as a homeschool mom is that of mother/teacher. It was nice to set the books aside for the weekend and enjoy doing some fun things with the kids.

Circle B Ranch was one of our stops. We had never ridden horses before so this was a real treat. After a brief orientation video, my hubby and the three older kids climbed into the saddles of their horses and set off for an hour trail ride. The sun was shining and the temperature was pleasantly warm for a March day in New York State.

My little one was too little to ride the bigger horses so she and I stayed back and I led her around the corral as she rode a pony. I must have looked like a city slicker (not that I tried to look otherwise) as the owner was surprised to see that I was wearing boots appropriate for the mud. I did let him know that I brought the more fashionable shoes for later. Now being the city slicker that I am, I have never ridden a horse let alone lead a horse. I am not so sure what the owner was thinking as he gave me the rope and went into the barn leaving me alone in this strange environment. I just smiled and learned very quickly. My little one thought it was great and enjoyed the long ride.

It was a relaxing weekend. We even got to sleep in every morning – what a treat. We played games, watched a little TV, enjoyed time just being a family.

Stepping back into reality has been a challenge. It is spring. Easter break is coming. We have had lots of rain.

All that said, I look forward to a new week.

2 comments:

He & Me + 3 said...

I love horse back riding. What a fun week...Glad you had a nice time, just being Mom!

Jodi said...

What a nice getaway for your family. I love to ride, we used to have a horse when we first moved here. I would love to get another one in the next year or so. My oldest would love to have another one again. I love the place you chose for a family getaway. It looked like a lot of fun for all!